I was asked a few weeks ago to write an article for the Central Christian College of the Bible alumni newsletter--known as REAL. That probably stands for something but i have no idea what. It turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be, not because I have any trouble at all talking about myself, but because I had to keep it short! In the end I was pleased with the result, and fairly impressed at my ability to edit myself. I thought since most of you will never see a copy of the REAL newsletter that I would put it on my blog. Plus there is always the possibility that they will edit it so I thought I'd put the original up. It's just a very brief testimony of the way God has worked in my life to bring me to Taiwan. I wish I would have had more space to add details but i guess I will have to save those for my biography, "Single, White Female on the Mission Field"--sounds a bit stalkerish doesn't it??
I grew up in the big town of Cairo, Mo. Most of my family members are Christian, my Grandma Reynolds was even my Sunday School teacher in 2nd grade, so God and the church have always been a part of my life. My family attended Union Ave. Christian Church and I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t either in choir practice or youth group. But probably the biggest influence on my young life outside of family and church was Central. My dad worked at Central for over 30 years, and I loved to spend time there as a kid, so I grew up surrounded by people who were training to go into full time Christian service.
By the time I was in Jr. High I knew that I wanted to be a missionary. I set my heart on going to Haiti to work at a children’s home. All through high school and my first two years of college I had my future planned out and I was sure that it included Haiti. But during my sophomore year at Central God, in His infinite wisdom, slammed that door shut. I didn’t understand why He wasn’t allowing me to follow that dream to serve Him in Haiti but I still knew I wanted to be a missionary; I just had to figure out where.
Throughout college I was involved in many different ministries, but no opportunities to go overseas came until finally God opened the door for me to go to Thailand after I graduated from Central. I spent 10 months there learning the true meaning of culture shock and redefining what it meant to trust God in every aspect of my life. He affirmed to me through that experience that I could survive overseas, but I knew I wasn’t supposed to stay in Thailand. So, I returned to Missouri and worked as a teacher and a youth minister.
In 1999 I had the opportunity to visit Taiwan for two weeks. I loved it--the culture, the city and especially the people, both Chinese and American, and I knew this was where I was supposed to go. So, in January 2001 I left the states to work with Team Expansion Taiwan. I was a missionary without a country no longer! Since coming to Taiwan God has challenged and broadened my vision of who He is and what He longs to do in the world and in the hearts of people. It’s been amazing to see His word and His Spirit in action, changing the lives of those who have put their trust in Him for the very first time.
When I was in high school I remember one night at church camp praying that God would do amazing things with my life. Looking back over the last 10+ years I can see how God’s hand has been working to do just that. He led me away from a mission field for which I was not suited to guide me toward the field He designed me for. He changed my desire to work with children into a passion for starting churches among college students and adults. And most of all He has transformed me into a woman that He can use for His glory. Back in college I had a good life planned for myself but God has given me a great one.
If I could sum up what my life has been and what I want it to be I would use the words of King David in Psalm 71:14-18.
“But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise You more and more. My mouth will tell of Your righteousness, of Your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure. I will come and proclaim Your mighty acts, O Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim Your righteousness, Yours alone. Since my youth, O God, You have taught me, and to this day I declare Your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare Your power to the next generation, Your might to all who are to come.”
1 comment:
I enjoyed reading your REAL testimony ;). Thanks for being willing to go where God wanted you.
Post a Comment