Thursday, January 17, 2008

Highlights of my trip home

Although, as SQJ pointed out, this is "Jen's Taiwan Blog" I'm going to go wild and crazy and write a few more things about my trip home.
Here are a few highlights:
Eating Lunch at Steak and Shake after having family pictures taken. Everyone took turns trying on the hats which we all thought was funny except Nathan.
Every time one of the adults would put on the hat he would put his head down on the table and start crying like he is in this picture with my sister in law. I'm not sure why he found them so disturbing but I think we can rule out a job at Steak and Shake as one of his future career choices. Another highlight--SNOW!
I actually prayed before I went home that there would be enough snow for me to go sledding with my friend Stephanie but not so much that I would be stuck in the house for three weeks. Here's what I got--ENOUGH SNOW TO GO SLEDDING!!
It was so cold that day, only around 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit, but we were having too much fun to care!
I was also able to see a few friends
Besides Stephanie and the Truman State group that was here in May I was also able to make it to Prairie Hill Christian Church to see some of my friends there. A great thing also happened one day when I was at the Columbia Mall. Within a span of ten minutes I ran into Erica, who was one of the girls from my youth group at PHCC, and Emily, an old friend of mine that I grew up with and also went to college with. It was like God knew I didn't have time to see everyone I wanted to in three weeks so he just brought them to me! I was also able to meet up with my good friend Kelli and was able to marvel anew at her ability to start up conversations with random old men in Wal-Mart. She's like an old man magnet!
And of course the main reason I went home was to see these guys--
Family,
Family,And more Family!The last day of my trip the ladies of my family (minus a couple of cousins and a cousin in law) went to the Shady Gables Tea Room for a family tea time. At Shady Gables there is a whole room full of old hats and shawls. If you want to you can wear the hats while you drink tea so you feel like it's a real tea party. Since the women in my family believe that you're never to old to play dress up--which is one of the many things I love about them--we all wore hats the entire afternoon.
Here are the family matriarchs--a word which in my family means "I'm the oldest so you have to do what I say"--Martha Rose, Mary Jane and Sarah Bess, being dramatic and cracking the rest of us up. The Reynolds ladies getting ready for tea.
All in all this was a great trip. It had been almost two years since I'd been home so I think I needed this trip more than I realized when I planned it. It was a fast three weeks but I tried to do something fun everyday so each day would have a good memory. Now that I'm back in Taiwan I'm feeling more refreshed and ready to finish out the next 5 months until my home service.

----------------
Now playing: Kenny Loggins - Celebrate Me Home
via FoxyTunes

No comments: