Monday, January 29, 2007

Do wisdom teeth really bring wisdom?

During my chinese new year (semi-) break I am trying to get something done about my wisdom teeth. It's turning out to be a bigger challenge than I thought it would be. Last week I saw two different dentists who both told me that my situation is too complicated to be handled at a clinic so I would have to go to a hospital to have them taken out. As you can see from the x-ray picture(taken by dentist #1) my big fat wisdom tooth is laying on its side. Plus there is a nerve underneath it that runs up past my ear and into my head. So today I am going to see dentist #3 at the request of a friend/student from the church in Taipei that I help out at. I'm hoping that she just looks at the x-rays and tells me whether she can help me or not. If i have to sit in another dentist chair and have them tell me that I have a cavity (which is getting filled during dentist visit #4 on Wednesday) I might just rip the crazy tooth out myself, like Tom Hanks on Castaway. I wonder where you can by ice skates in Taiwan...
Another problem is that I don't really know any dentists at the big hospitals and I don't want to just randomly pick one, or have one randomly assigned to me. Thankfully(for me, not so much for her) one of my fellow team expansioners has just had some dental surgery done and liked her dentist really well so I probably will try her unless someone really great comes into the picture.
The one great thing about all of this is that so far it has only cost me about 50NT(apart from what I've spent riding the MRT to the dentist offices) which is about $1.50US. I'm really loving socialized medicine right now!:-)
But on a happier note, next to the office of dentist #2 (and #4) there is an amazing flower shop that had these beautiful hydrangeas for sale. I'm so happy that spring comes early in Taiwan! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about that nasty tooth Fer Fer. However, I hear that the Tooth Fairy pays more for teeth that stay under the gums for so many years. So maybe the Year of the Pig will turn out to be a great one for you after all!
Angie Mama

jen ren said...

doesn't the tooth fairy have an age limit?:-)