I've been meaning to give an update on the wisdom tooth situation. Well, the day that I wrote the previous wisdom tooth post I went to see dentist #3. She X-rayed my tooth on the other side and it's also sideways. But since it wasn't coming out or hurting she wasn't worried about it yet. So I asked her about the original tooth and she said "Do you want to take it out today?" at which point I nearly jumped out of the chair and ran away. But instead I said "sure why not?" but inside I was so scared and all I could think was "no one knows where I'm at. What if something happens to me and no one knows???" Naturally someone would miss me eventually but since i'm single and live by myself it would probably have taken at least 24 hours before someone realized that I was gone!
For those of you who don't actually know me that may be reading this blog--Yes, I am a major over reactor with a big imagination, I come by it honest...
So she gave me a couple of shots to numb my mouth, which is the first time I've ever had anything like that. It was so bizarre. At first I kept scratching my cheek to see if I could still feel it and then I realized that I should probably stop doing that or I would end up with claw marks all over my face. At first when she started cutting I thought it was really cool that I couldn't feel anything. But any "coolness" I was feeling wore off pretty quickly. My stupid tooth was so big that she had to cut it into 3 pieces to get it out. At one point she kept saying "kah ju luh" which is Chinese for "it's stuck!" which is not something you want to hear in a dentist chair. I was really wishing at that point that I had never learned that word in Chinese! At one point she was gripping my jaw bone so tightly and pulling with the plyers so hard that I actually thought she was going to break my jaw in half. At that point I was pretty much just thinking "Please God, make it stop!!" But I was pretty impressed with myself that I didn't even shed one tear! I think I was too traumatized.
Being a teacher I naturally believe that you should learn something from every experience so here are some things that I learned from this experience:
*The dentist drill smells like my mosquito zapper when I kill a mosquito
*That whole breathing through the pain thing really works. Maybe they should teach lamaze to people having teeth removed.
*Having a sympathetic dentist doesn't actually make it hurt less.
*When your dentist says "we're almost done!" she's lying!!
*It's really hard to apply chapstick when you can't feel your lips.
*It might actually be better to pay a couple hundred dollars and sleep through having all four teeth removed at once than pay $1.50 and be awake for the whole thing.
*I'm very happy with my other three wisdom teeth staying just where they are
So, for all of you who were anxiously awaiting the story of my wisdom tooth experience, there you have it. i hope it was worth it!
In other news, I got an e-mail back this morning from the Passion people. It wasn't a yes or a no since they haven't started planning where they are going on their world tour, but I was pretty excited that it was actually a reply from a real live person. A nice one at that! Either that or they have really personal sounding form letters that they send out as replies...
Well, I hope all of you in the states are staying warm! I can sympathize with you this week because it's rainy and down in the 50's here. And before you all leave me comments about how 50 degrees isn't really that cold just remember that I live in a world made of concrete and tile. No warm carpet or heaters like you have. Plus I HATE COLD WEATHER!!! So anything below 60 is not ok with me!
Thanks for all your fun comments that you've been leaving lately. I love you guys too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your dentist experience is so true! I hope you don't mind that I posted your insights on my blog.
I have been reading your blog for a while and enjoy it. You and I were at the same retreat in Taichung in March.
Keep up the great work up north. If you ever come south, please let us know.
Jen,
I enjoyed reading your blog about the dentist, and am going back to read some of your older posts. I got your blog site from Sandy, whose site I got from Danette Thrush. We are friends of the Thrush family, Wes was our Pastor when they were commissioned as missionaries. Look forward to hearing more about your Taiwan experience. Keith Settle... Missouri
hey Keith,
Thanks for leaving a comment! What part of MO are you from?
Jen,
I am in the Southeast corner of Missouri...about two hours south of St. Louis. Keep up the good work.
Keith
Post a Comment