This weeks theme:
God can do what He says He can do.
When I first started reading the lesson for this week my first reaction was "do we have to talk about what God can do by just discussing miracles??". Nice, huh? My church background teaches that the purpose of miracles in the New Testament was to validate the message and the messenger (Acts 2:22) and that miracles in our time don't exist the way they did in the Bible. I still believe this, sort of...
In the book she points out two groups of people--
cessationists--those who believe that more dramatic miracles have ceased in our day
sensationalists--those who believe that the whole point of belief is miracles
She also points out that Jesus called those who didn't believe in miracles "an unbelieving and perverse generation" (Luke 9:41) and those who only wanted miracles a "wicked and adulterous generation" (Matt 16:4).
I realize that some of my cessationist theology that I learned growing up and in Bible college was a reaction to the opposite extreme. Maybe in this case the middle ground is the best choice.
What I would say now to someone who asked me if I believe in miracles is absolutely yes. I believe that the God of the Bible is still the same God we serve today. And you can't have a wonderful, marvelous God without wonders and marvels. And actually growing up I don't know any of my teachers that would deny God can do great things. We just tend to call them "providence" rather than miracles. Do I believe that He performs them in the same way? yes and no. God's power is still the same but I don't know that he grants people the power and authority to perform them the way He did in the Bible. I have a problem with people who claim to have the gift of healing but also have the type of proud spirit that draws all the attention to themselves rather than direct it to God. I don't believe that's what anyone in the Bible did when they performed miracles. They always gave glory to God. I'm not going to say that those people are "from the devil" because that's not really my judgment call. Let's just say I'm cautious and skeptical.
So basically, I might just need to get over my hang-ups on the human aspect of miracles and just focus on the God side.
I do believe that God has, and uses, the power to heal people physically, emotionally and spiritually. I also believe that when it comes to physical healing sometimes he says no because he is holding out for a greater yes. God's purpose is to prepare His church to be the bride of Christ, that means He is purifying us. He alone knows best whether that is accomplished through healing or suffering. Here's a quote from the book, "We can always hope and pray diligently for a miracle. If, in God's sovereignty, He chooses to accomplish His purposes another way, let it not be that we have not because we asked not (James 4:2) or that we have not because we believed not (Matt 9:29)."
One thing that has frustrated me occasionally in the church, both here and in the states, is that people have such a limited view of God. They like to put God in a comfortable little box and try and keep Him there. But I need to believe in a God who is bigger than I can ever comprehend. Seriously, why would I sacrifice my life for a God that's not much better than Santa Claus? I want the God of the Bible. I want to have faith that He can do amazing things in my life, even if they aren't the things I thought He would or should do. I'm still not always sure what "Anything is possible for him who believes" looks like in my daily life but, like Mulder, "I want to believe", not in aliens! but in the power of God in my life and in the lives of those around me. I want to see His mighty hand at work on behalf of His children.
Since we've been studying faith I've been trying to emphasize the importance of prayer as part of an active faith. I've also been praying that God would show me and the women I'm studying with just what He can do. Especially for those who maybe don't have much confidence in God's abilities just yet.
A couple of weeks ago we prayed for Janet and her small group at church who were taking a missions trip to central Taiwan. She came back sharing how it had gone much better than her expectations. Apparently, there was a women in their group that tends to cause conflict wherever she goes. Janet didn't know about this before the trip, she only found out about it afterward. And she only found out about it then because everyone was amazed that on this trip she didn't cause any trouble. This situation made a big impact on her. Here's the e-mail she sent me after our meeting last week. Keep in mind that she's not a native English speaker!
"I am still thinking that the miracle of this missionary trip to NanTou.
Before finishing the activities, God did not let me to know much detail until this sister shared with me what she thought. I think I would be stuck in and cannot concentrate on the whole picture and the priority of this trip if I know her situation before the trip. I am the kind of person who can only handle one thing at one time, but I am also the type of person who wants to take care everyone to make sure they do not have much complains. Therefore, I cannot imagine how frustrated I would be if I know how tough the situation is. But God knows me and know this sister as well. He did not let me know too detail in advanced and God arranged two brothers dedicate to pray for this sister during this trip.
God can do what He say he can do."
Amen!
Last week we prayed for Lili's doctor's appointment. She has to go for regular visits every two weeks or so. She wasn't sure that she would be able to make it to Bible study this week because she usually has to wait in line for 1 to 2 hours. We prayed that she wouldn't have to wait in line too long so she would still be able to make it to Bible study. So this week she made it to bible study and she was actually 10 minutes early because when she got to the doctor's office THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE THERE WAITING IN LINE!!! It still makes me laugh and laugh just to imagine the look of amazement on her face when she walked into that empty doctor's office.
You can be sure that it was strongly emphasized that it wasn't good luck or coincidence but GOD answering our prayers. I guess He really wanted her to be at Bible study last night.
Favorite quote for Week 3 "God is far more interested in our knowing the Healer than He is in the healing. God can be vastly glorified through either objective: showing His supremacy or His sufficiency."
Week 4's topic--I am who God says I am
----------------
Now playing: Hillsong Australia - All Things Are Possible
via FoxyTunes
In the book she points out two groups of people--
cessationists--those who believe that more dramatic miracles have ceased in our day
sensationalists--those who believe that the whole point of belief is miracles
She also points out that Jesus called those who didn't believe in miracles "an unbelieving and perverse generation" (Luke 9:41) and those who only wanted miracles a "wicked and adulterous generation" (Matt 16:4).
I realize that some of my cessationist theology that I learned growing up and in Bible college was a reaction to the opposite extreme. Maybe in this case the middle ground is the best choice.
What I would say now to someone who asked me if I believe in miracles is absolutely yes. I believe that the God of the Bible is still the same God we serve today. And you can't have a wonderful, marvelous God without wonders and marvels. And actually growing up I don't know any of my teachers that would deny God can do great things. We just tend to call them "providence" rather than miracles. Do I believe that He performs them in the same way? yes and no. God's power is still the same but I don't know that he grants people the power and authority to perform them the way He did in the Bible. I have a problem with people who claim to have the gift of healing but also have the type of proud spirit that draws all the attention to themselves rather than direct it to God. I don't believe that's what anyone in the Bible did when they performed miracles. They always gave glory to God. I'm not going to say that those people are "from the devil" because that's not really my judgment call. Let's just say I'm cautious and skeptical.
So basically, I might just need to get over my hang-ups on the human aspect of miracles and just focus on the God side.
I do believe that God has, and uses, the power to heal people physically, emotionally and spiritually. I also believe that when it comes to physical healing sometimes he says no because he is holding out for a greater yes. God's purpose is to prepare His church to be the bride of Christ, that means He is purifying us. He alone knows best whether that is accomplished through healing or suffering. Here's a quote from the book, "We can always hope and pray diligently for a miracle. If, in God's sovereignty, He chooses to accomplish His purposes another way, let it not be that we have not because we asked not (James 4:2) or that we have not because we believed not (Matt 9:29)."
One thing that has frustrated me occasionally in the church, both here and in the states, is that people have such a limited view of God. They like to put God in a comfortable little box and try and keep Him there. But I need to believe in a God who is bigger than I can ever comprehend. Seriously, why would I sacrifice my life for a God that's not much better than Santa Claus? I want the God of the Bible. I want to have faith that He can do amazing things in my life, even if they aren't the things I thought He would or should do. I'm still not always sure what "Anything is possible for him who believes" looks like in my daily life but, like Mulder, "I want to believe", not in aliens! but in the power of God in my life and in the lives of those around me. I want to see His mighty hand at work on behalf of His children.
Since we've been studying faith I've been trying to emphasize the importance of prayer as part of an active faith. I've also been praying that God would show me and the women I'm studying with just what He can do. Especially for those who maybe don't have much confidence in God's abilities just yet.
A couple of weeks ago we prayed for Janet and her small group at church who were taking a missions trip to central Taiwan. She came back sharing how it had gone much better than her expectations. Apparently, there was a women in their group that tends to cause conflict wherever she goes. Janet didn't know about this before the trip, she only found out about it afterward. And she only found out about it then because everyone was amazed that on this trip she didn't cause any trouble. This situation made a big impact on her. Here's the e-mail she sent me after our meeting last week. Keep in mind that she's not a native English speaker!
"I am still thinking that the miracle of this missionary trip to NanTou.
Before finishing the activities, God did not let me to know much detail until this sister shared with me what she thought. I think I would be stuck in and cannot concentrate on the whole picture and the priority of this trip if I know her situation before the trip. I am the kind of person who can only handle one thing at one time, but I am also the type of person who wants to take care everyone to make sure they do not have much complains. Therefore, I cannot imagine how frustrated I would be if I know how tough the situation is. But God knows me and know this sister as well. He did not let me know too detail in advanced and God arranged two brothers dedicate to pray for this sister during this trip.
God can do what He say he can do."
Amen!
Last week we prayed for Lili's doctor's appointment. She has to go for regular visits every two weeks or so. She wasn't sure that she would be able to make it to Bible study this week because she usually has to wait in line for 1 to 2 hours. We prayed that she wouldn't have to wait in line too long so she would still be able to make it to Bible study. So this week she made it to bible study and she was actually 10 minutes early because when she got to the doctor's office THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE THERE WAITING IN LINE!!! It still makes me laugh and laugh just to imagine the look of amazement on her face when she walked into that empty doctor's office.
You can be sure that it was strongly emphasized that it wasn't good luck or coincidence but GOD answering our prayers. I guess He really wanted her to be at Bible study last night.
Favorite quote for Week 3 "God is far more interested in our knowing the Healer than He is in the healing. God can be vastly glorified through either objective: showing His supremacy or His sufficiency."
Week 4's topic--I am who God says I am
----------------
Now playing: Hillsong Australia - All Things Are Possible
via FoxyTunes
No comments:
Post a Comment