Friday, May 02, 2008

Polyjuice Potion for the soul

I know that for some of you this confession will send me straight to H-E-double hockey sticks but here it goes...I've read all the Harry Potter books, and I liked them...alot.
Thanks to an on again, off again book drought I've been having for the past year I've decided to re-read all 7 books of the HP series. In book 2 Harry and his friends are trying to figure out who is controlling the monster that is roaming around their school attacking students. They have a suspicion that it might be Harry's rival, Draco Malfoy, but they have no way to prove it. So they come up with a plan to brew up some Polyjuice Potion. What this potion does is cause you to transform into some one else when combined with a bit of that person, say a hair or something, but preferably not toenails. Then they transform themselves into Draco's friends and try to get a confession out of him.
I was reading book two around the same time that I was doing week 7 and 8 of the Beth Moore Bible study. During those weeks she has you go back and divide your life into 5 parts, then she asks you questions about things that happened during that time of your life. The idea is to start to see how God was working in your life maybe even before you really knew Him. It was interesting to look back at my life, especially thinking back to my college/pre-Taiwan years and see how I've changed in the 7 years I've been here.
So, what's the connection between Polyjuice Potion and a Beth Moore Bible study?
In the book, when you drink the Polyjuice Potion the transformation is terribly painful. Your skin feels like melting wax as your body literally takes on the shape of someone else. When it's all over and you look in the mirror you don't see your own familiar face anymore, but the face of whoever you've transformed into.
I feel like the transformation I've gone through in the past 7 years has occasionally felt like taking spiritual Polyjuice Potion. But instead of using bits of Crabbe and Goyle, I'm taking bits of Jesus that I see in God's word and with the help of the Holy Spirit trying to insert them into my life, which of course means getting rid of bits of myself. The goal is the same, to become a different person. But instead of an instant transformation it sometimes feels like a long torturous process. Especially when my bits decide they are comfortable and don't want to be dislodged for the "Jesus bits". Of course, I don't have to transform at all. I could just stay the same and count it as good enough. But then I'd never know what good things God might have in store for me throughout the process. And then there's always the wonderful promise of someday looking in the mirror (you know, the spiritual one) and being pleasantly surprised at who is looking back.
So, "Do not grow weary in doing good for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up." Galatians 6:9.
----------------
Now playing: David Crowder Band - Surely We Can Change
via FoxyTunes

No comments: