Saturday, February 23, 2008

When good books go bad

If anyone asked me what my greatest talent is I might have to say it's my amazing, sometimes annoying, ability of looking at something and not seeing it. I can do this with keys, my card for the subway, shoes and sometimes, even people. This talent especially seems to work when it comes to clutter. For some people clutter is just completely unacceptable. They can't sleep if they have even a single thing that's not put away. For me having clutter is not a big deal because I just don't notice it. Maybe it has something to do with not being detail oriented, I don't know. The only time I really notice it is when someone else is coming over to my house, then I seem to look at everything through their eyes and get stressed out because my the place is a wreck.
Well, the other night as I was laying in bed pondering life I looked over at my bedside table and thought "where did all those books come from??". Which is funny, since I'm pretty sure some of them have been there for several months. As you can see from this picture it's getting a little out of hand.

Along with being oblivious, I'm also easily bored and restless so I start a book, get tired of it and then start another one without putting the first one away. Here's what I have on my table:
On the bottom left is the illustrated version of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" that I bought for myself when I was home. It's my Christmas tradition to read it every year so I was excited to find this edition at Barnes and Noble. I guess when I came back to Taiwan after break I wanted to extend the Christmas spirit so I was reading it for a few days.
Above that is my Bible that I read before I go to sleep. Of course I have a Bible by my bed. I am a missionary!
On top of that pile is "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen. That's the book I'm currently reading.
On top of the other pile is "Howards End" by E.M. Forster. I'm also currently reading this book, but since I usually only have time to read before I go to bed, and sometimes I'm too tired to concentrate on something new I have "Northanger Abbey" as my "no-brainer" option since I've read it before.
Under that is "Prince Caspian" by C.S. Lewis. I've read this one a few times but I happened to see the trailer for the new movie the other day and thought I should read it again. So I did. But then I never put it away.
Next is Dr. Zhivago. About once every 5 years I pull it out and start reading it. All the crazy Russian names get too confusing and I never finish it.
Then we have "Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot. I only read George Eliot novels when I want to feel intellectual. They take me forever to wade through, and somehow I found out that this one has a sad ending--probably because I read the last chapter--so I don't know if I'll ever finish it. But it's good to have it by just in case.
And finally we have "Savannah by the Sea". I don't know who wrote this book. It's Christian fiction which means I read about two chapters, figured out the end without even reading the last chapter and got bored. I think I read too many of my mom's Christian fiction books in Jr. High and now I feel like "there's nothing new under the sun" in that genre. And so many of the storylines are just so sappy, that it tends to bring out my inner Scrooge "Love?? Bah Humbug!" Just once I'd like to see the girl leave it all-- boyfriend, family, home, job--and move to the mission field. I'll probably have to write that one myself if I want it to exist. :-) Or if someone could write Christian fiction that's as good, smart and non cheesy, as Jane Austen I would totally read that.
I guess I should put some of these books away, but then what would I read??

No comments: