Saturday, August 23, 2008

Texas Road Trip Day 3--There's a reason there is only one letter difference between humidity and humility

Although we had to get up far too early on Saturday the view from our hotel room was pretty impressive at that time of the morning.
Then we made the twenty minute trek from our hotel to the Alamodome.

Don't I look so happy to be up that early? Of course, I can't take a picture without my "Taiwan fingers". They go along with my humidity filled "Taiwan hair" which now maybe can be called "Texas hair" as well. Yikes.
At the conference Beth continued talking about how we are heiresses of God.
I am an heir of God:
*The down payment has been made.
*My boundary lines form a pleasing place
*The will has been activated (Hebrews 9:15-17--I love Hebrews!)
*I can be secure
*I have a beautiful inheritance

After the conference we had an hour break and then went to the "Siesta Fiesta". The Siesta Fiesta is a get together for the ladies who make up the Beth Moore blog community. There was a Q &A time with Beth and her two daughters. I'm a relatively new "Siesta" but I'm really glad I went. I obviously know that we can't put emphasis on the messenger over the message but I think Beth Moore is very cool. Mostly because she lifts up scripture above all human authority, but also because she is just hilarious and real. Her blog is a nice combination of the spiritual stuff we need and the "shallow" womanly things we enjoy--such as shoes and hair color. Although I didn't get a chance to ask her a question like I wanted to, we got very good seats and enjoyed listening to the answers to the other's questions. I was a little disappointed about not getting to ask her a question because, seriously, when will I ever be in the same room with Beth Moore again? I imagine at future Siesta Fiestas I will be back in Taiwan, plus I think they are only going to get bigger so even if I was able to go my chances of getting to ask anything aren't getting any better--although as Beth reminded us, nothing in our lives happens by chance!:-). I guess I'll just have to wait until heaven, where I probably won't give a hoot about Beth Moore anyways because Jesus will be there and I can just talk to him!

After the Siesta Fiesta we headed out to visit the Alamo. And while we were there I figured out why the only picture people have of the Alamo is the one outside. It's because you can't take pictures inside. I always thought it was strange that everyone has the exact same picture, now I know why.

It was raining on and off all day and just about the time we left the Siesta Fiesta it started pouring. That's why we all look like wet poodles. Or at least that's what Bobbi Jo said she looked like. I prefer the drowned rat look myself.
After the Alamo and some souvenir shopping we left San Antonio to head to Austin. Along the way we stopped at this great store called "Garden Ridge". It's just a huge warehouse type store filled with home decor, clothes, books, and pretty much anything else they can manage to fit in. And it's all cheap. I got a great purse for $10. I love cheap, cute stuff!!
Finally we made it to Austin. We headed downtown to 6th street where we walked around for a while listening to the music, buying "Austin Rocks" guitar picks for my brother and eating supper at the "Iron Cactus" where we had what might be the best guacamole ever.
Here is my crazy picture of the Texas capital building that I took as I was crossing the street. I always laugh at visiting groups in Taiwan who stop in the middle of the road to take a picture of Taipei 101--well usually I'm laughing on the outside and inside thinking "Get out of the road before you get run over and I have to take you to the hospital!" But now I am one of them. And my picture's not even very good because I wasn't brave enough to stop very long and we were pretty far away and it was dark.
After supper we were pretty wiped out from this crazy long, but very fun day so we went back to rest up for the last day of our monster road trip.
Coming up Sunday:
*A visit to Austin Stone Community Church
*Driving 75 legally!!
*Finally making it home

----------------
Now playing: Fee - All Because Of Jesus
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Sandy H. 何聖欣 said...

Wow, it sounds like you were at the Alamo about a week after we were. That would have been wild if we were both taking pics outside the building at the same time, haha. San Antonio had something like TW humidity there. I took some pics of several big scooters near downtown while I was there which reminded me of TW.

I hope your time home was fun. Ours was.